By Pixel Theme Studio
Recently I had the need to set up several sites for a client with the same woocommerce inventory and the same navigation. Being that the menu was fairly bulky, and being that woocommerce categories can’t be placed easily into the menu the way that post categories can be, I was in need of a solution to export the custom navigation menus to save myself quite a bit of work.
After doing a quick Google Search, I found the following Menu Exporting Plugin: http://wordpress.org/plugins/menu-exporter/
Even though it has the 2 year warning, I gave it a try anyway and it worked like a charm. I tried the plugin on three different sites all running WP 3.9.1 and it still worked.
Here are the steps to export / import a menu
- Upload the plugin to your site and activate it
- Click Tools > Export
- You should now see an option for Navigation Menu Items. Click the radio button
- Click Download Export File
- Login to the site where you want to import the menu
- Click Tools > Import
- Select the bottom option of WordPress (install and activate the importer plugin if prompted)
- Click the Choose File button and select the file you just exported
- When the upload is complete, go to Appearance > Menus and view the menu you want to work with
- Be sure to fix any custom links that were hard-coded
- Save your menu and you’re done!
NOTE: It is best if when you create your menus you do so using only the part of the URL that comes after the domain name (ex. /products/my-product-cat/ rather than mysite.com/products/my-product/cat). This will avoid you having to change the domain name of each link later.
There you have it. Any questions or comments, leave ’em below!
About Pixel Theme Studio
Pixel Theme Studio is focused on designing professional WordPress themes. The goal is to design real world concepts for individual bloggers and business owners with themes that are not bloated with scripts and code. We create the best WordPress themes possible by keeping the designs simple and clean.
We no longer support Joomla templates. Sorry